- I’ve never had sourdough breadsticks before. They are very tasty. I made some with poppy seeds, some with sesame seeds and some plain. Rosemary would have been a great addition as would parmesan grated on top. This is quite a wet dough which contributes to gluten development but can make the shaping a bit of a sticky experience.
200g sourdough starter
500g bread flour
60g olive oil
1tsp fine salt
1. Mix the starter, water and olive oil.
2. Rub the butter into the flour and add the salt.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Knead until the dough is stretchy, elastic, smooth and glossy.
4. Cover and leave to rise for 3-4 hours.
5. Roll out the dough into a rectangle about 20cm long and 3-4mm thick. Use some flour on the worktop and rolling pin – the dough will be sticky.
6. Cut strands about 1cm thick and roll them into rough stick shapes. Just get the rough shape – not looking for perfection.
7. Place the dough strands onto a baking tray with room for them to spread out.
8. Cover with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, chopped rosemary or grated parmesan – or just leave plain.
9. Bake for about 25mins and 200C.